Have you made something with my beads??

If you're a crafter or artist and have created something unique with my beads or glass tiles, and would like to be featured in my website as a guest artist, please email me at cec235@hotmail.com.

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Making the world a little greener....

Welcome to Glass & Light. If we haven't met before, you can visit my "other blog" (see link on the right) for a more personal view into my soul.

 
I am honored to be featured this week in Green Prophet, a webzine focusing on environmental news in the Middle East.  The webzine is in English and has quite about artists and designers who practice the three "R's"  - reduce, reuse and recycle - in their everyday designs and work. They also have well-written and informative articles about green technology and politics.  If you enjoy reading articles like this, then I would recommend visiting Green Prophet at least once.  They update their articles frequently.  Thank you, Karen of GP, for finding me and bringing me to your webzine!
And I ask (as I always do!), are 3 R's enough?  What about 5 R's, or 10?  I think that we should add to this list - 

  • Repair - fix the old and keep using it, rather than buying new and junking the old
  • Replant - let's keep Israel green by planting more trees.  Once our country was tropical.
  • Renew - renew our vows to go "green" and our commitment to Israel's (and the world's) environment
  • Rethink - be open to new ideas and new ways of doing things
  • Remember - this is the only planet that we have, and most of its resources are limited
  • Remind - remind others, especially our children, the what, how and why of healthy environmental practices
  • Reward - give a good word to people who do the right thing
  • Respect - the needs and opinions of others, but don't be afraid to stand up against poor practices and attitudes
  • Regulate - first and foremost, we need to regulate ourselves.  It's not enough to "feel green" if we're not doing anything about it.  But I'm also in favor of getting our governments to set some limits on industry and waste management
  • pRioritize - we can't do everything, but we should do something.  What are our priorities?
  • pRepare - keep reading, keep learning, keep trying.... prepare for our future

I suspect that the last 2 are cheating, but I'm not taking them off my list.  Many of my stained glass pieces contain recycled or upcycled components.  I make a lot of beads from recycled glass (although most of them are not in my Etsy site).  And I've put a lot of practices in place to conserve resources.  It's not all about money - buying used bubblewrap or used bubble bags sometimes costs as much as the original and can be time-consuming to find - but about reusing what's already out there instead of encouraging the manufacture of more plastic while putting the old stuff into landfill.  

 
Thank you, Green Prophet! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, all comments welcome!

Did you know I recycle?

I reuse shipping and packing materials whenever possible. If relevant, your package will include a note to let you know how I conserved resources when packing up your purchase.

I've been featured on....